For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth. Colossians 1:16

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Days are amazing things.  I don't mean the 24-hour period that is a Tuesday, but rather how remarkable it is for someone's mood to change drastically between the hours that begin and end a day.  The beginnings of the week are not typically my favorite, because they start another week of waiting to be in France.  Waiting to be with my church in France, waiting to work with the beautiful elementary schoolers there, and just waiting to be back doing something that makes a difference.  This was my mood this morning, and it carried into the afternoon.  Thankfully, my brother is around to make me happier as well as point out when I'm being stupid.  That's what big brothers were made for, right?  Anyway, my melancholy lasted for quite a while, actually up until a few minutes ago.  I know I sound like a broken record, but gratitude journals are brilliant.  For instance, at my gym, there is a sauna, and I enjoy saunas.  Saunas by yourself though, as with many things in life, are not that fun.  I kept thinking "Man, this is boring without other people." as well as "Why do I always forget to take off my metal necklace when I go in saunas?!"  In this solitude, I started thinking about Holy Week. 
During my last semester of college, I took a class on John (not the man himself, but the book of John) and we spent an insane amount of time just on the Upper Room Discourse (John 13-17).  Although, I'm a total nerd and loved studying every minute of it.  In case you're unfamiliar with Holy Week, it starts with Jesus entering Jerusalem to a chorus of "Hosanna in the highest!" which is often reenacted by little nuggets at churches on Palm Sunday.  Four days later, we remember Maundy Thursday on which the Last Supper and the Upper Room Discourse took place.  This is Jesus' final message to the disciples, his last chance to share his wisdom, his comfort, and his love with those whom he loved so dearly.  At the end of the night, after praying in the Garden of Gethsemane, he is taken away by soldiers to be judged and on Friday, he is crucified, giving his life as atonement for the sin of humanity.  The following Sunday is Easter, when he rose from the dead, triumphing over death and sin.
While thinking so much about this week of Jesus' life and how it has affected us living in the world which he conquered, I started thinking about what this week means for Jesus himself.  I found myself praying, just talking to God, but I was interrupted by the metal on my necklace finally becoming unbearably hot.  I kind of forgot about that part of my day until I was reflecting on today and writing in my gratitude journal.  Even though my melancholy and frustration carried on most of the day, now as it is nearing its close, I'm just happy.  I am grateful and blessed, and I don't even know why.  Never underestimate what can happen in a day, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment