For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth. Colossians 1:16

Monday, October 1, 2012

Quelle joie dans mon coeur!

I just returned from a truly wonderful weekend with my church here in France.  On the one hand, this could have been fabulously overwhelming, jumping straight into a full on weekend of non-stop French language, meeting dozens of people, and trying to remember the customs of this lovely country, all while still jet lagged.  However, there could not have been a better way to start off my time in France.  There were some familiar faces, some new ones, and I could not have imagined more gracious, loving, and compassionate people.

I hung out with Sandy when people were arriving, and there were a number of people who recognized me, or at least had an idea of who I am, but I reintroduced myself regardless.  One man, Jean-Luc, said when I introduced myself, "Je te connais Madame." which means "I know you, madam."  It just is such a comfort to know that people here still remember me, even after two years.

Throughout the weekend, there were a number of worship services, and much like retreats at camp, there was a speaker as well.  Even if I couldn't translate to someone the whole message, I did understand just about all of it.  After each message, we got into groups to answer some questions and pray for one another.  It was such a great joy.

Yesterday afternoon, we took a hike around the area.  Good gracious me.  It was straight out of a fairy tale.  This is such a lovely area!  Once I find my camera cord, I'll put up some pictures.  We walked for about three or four kilometers through the countryside where we passed beautiful stone houses, mushrooms big enough for the Smurfs, and several farms.  It reminded me a lot of the UP which is probably why I like this area so much.  Once we got back, Christelle and I got a group together to play cards.  If you want to practice any language, play cards with native speakers.  Often times, it will be the same games you've been playing throughout your life, but you pick up on different phrases and words which will really help expand your vocabulary.

The camp where we stayed, Camp Teen Ranch, is kind of an Old West style place, complete with a Saloon, horses, teepees, and a totem pole.  It was a little odd to see a place like that here in France, seeing as I have never been to a place like that back in the States.  One card games Christelle, Sylvain, Cedric and I played was called Wanted.  In my head, I thought "This is just too funny!" because everything was straight out of a John Wayne movie!  There was a sheriff, les hors-de-loi (outlaws), and a traitor.  It was a pretty straight forward game, but seeing as I didn't know things like "draw two cards" it was a little difficult at first, but I managed to get through it and even won! (I think. I ended up killing the sheriff, but it could've been one of those games where the point was not to die)

And of course, as per usual in France, the food was incredible.  Breakfasts were simple: a bowl or two of coffee, bread and croissants with jam and butter, and maybe some yogurt.  Lunch and dinner both had salads, a main course, and dessert, served with wine and water and the quintessential bread. So good.  Saturday's dessert after lunch was eclairs.  Oh good gracious.  There were a couple left, and Bernard, one of the elders of the church asked me if I wanted another one.  I hesitated, but then everyone at the table said "You're in France now!" so naturally, I helped myself to a second eclair.

As I said, this weekend had the possibility of frustrating me because I haven't spoken French regularly for so long, but it was just so encouraging!  If I didn't understand something, they would explain it or grab someone who also spoke English to translate a word.  They were all so gracious and patient with me, and a few of them even said "You speak French very well!"  When I told Randy that, he said "Those are the people who will be your friends for life."  I'm cool with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment