For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth. Colossians 1:16

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A few quick things I really love about living here:

-Meals.  I don't just mean how delicious the food is, but I mean having meals with people.  Back home, everyone is always in such a hurry, eating as fast as they can so they can more on to the next thing on their list of things to do, and often times they don't appreciate the company of those with whom they share a meal.  Even at lunch here, you wouldn't dream of leaving the table for at least an hour.  You take your time eating and enjoy the conversation and laughter.

-Greetings.  The French are so personable.  When you go somewhere, you always greet those you know and introduce yourself to those you don't.  Now, let me clarify.  I'm not saying that when you enter a restaurant you say hello to every person who is eating.  But, at church, you greet everyone.  The second clarification: greeting does not mean just waving and saying "Hey".  Rather, you bisous each other (kiss each other on each cheek). Women will always do this, and men will shake hands with other men.  I may miss hugs, but the warmth and friendliness of greetings here is a pretty good substitute.

- Good gracious, it is lovely.




- Produce.  Yes, produce.  While grocery shopping yesterday, I stopped over to look at some of the fruit.  Here are some things that caught my eye: grapes from Italy, pineapples from both Ghana (!) and South Africa, bananas from North Africa.  So much good, beautiful fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment