For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth. Colossians 1:16

Saturday, January 5, 2013

You know those mornings when before you even open your eyes, you know you're in a bad mood?  Well, I had one of those this week.  My cat decided to become an owl and he thinks the prime time for playing is between four and eight in the morning and he just stands outside my door meowing, leaves, comes back and meows for a while, goes away, comes back and meows, etc.  So, right away when I woke up, I was far less than chipper.  When I was getting ready for the day, I kept telling myself, "Come on, you don't have to stay in a crabby mood, you can change that."  But, it didn't happen.

I then went into town, and my plans got changed around, leaving me in an even crabbier mood.  When I finally got home, my cat wanted to play with me while I was trying to eat lunch and when I wouldn't let him sit on my lap, he went and pouted in the hallway.  After a few hours of reading and working, I decided to take a Pinterest break and I went through my Quotes board.  I came across a number of wonderful ones I'd forgotten, including:

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page. -St. Augustine
Someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.- C.S. Lewis
Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got. -Robert Brault
Be who you are and say what you lean.  Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -Dr. Seuss
Never leave the house is sweats.  A girl must be prepared to meet a dashing stranger or old enemy.

But, the one that struck me in light of my foul disposition was from Abraham Lincoln: We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.

I then, of course, laughed at myself because I woke up cranky simply because my cat wanted to hang out with me.  This in turn negatively shifted my outlook on the rest of the day, which made me miss out on who knows how many laughs and smiles!  Emotions are good things, and God gave us a spectrum to use, but don't let the negative ones cloud your view of the beautiful things around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment