For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth. Colossians 1:16

Monday, January 7, 2013

For years now, I've had a list of things that I want to do in my life, ranging from skydiving to doing The Sound of Music tour in Salzburg, to re-learning both piano and guitar, and a myriad of other things.  As I've said, I had the amazing opportunity of doing the tour in Salzburg, and as I was on the train back to France, I was thinking about all of the things, both big and small, that I keep saying I'm going to do.  As I looked out at the German countryside, I thought "Why don't I stop talking about these things, and just do them?"  Don't worry, Mom and Dad, I have no plans to go skydiving anytime soon, but the other things, yes.  I have a piano available to me, so why not practice?  I have stationery, so why not write a letter every week? 

There are all kinds of things that I could easily be doing but I'm only stopped by my own laziness.  What kind of a reason is that?  I'll tell you: a stupid reason.  If you think "Man, I should really exercise more" and then help yourself to another cup of coffee and sit on the couch for the rest of the day, clearly you have the time to go do that.  If you think, "Wouldn't it be great to get back into the creative stuff I loved when I was younger?" and then watch TV, all you are doing is hindering yourself from doing what you really love.  If you loved something as a kid, it's likely that you'll still like it now.  Well, not all things.  I liked eating straight sugar as a kid, but I'm not such a fan of doing that these days.  But you get what I mean. 

Earlier in the year, I had a conversation with a friend about Pinterest.  We talked about all of the really spectacular things we had pinned, and then I told her about a Pinterest party that some friends of mine had.  She asked if they hung out and pinned things or actually made those pins, and when I said they were making things, she said "I really need to do that sometime."  Pinterest is a great place for ideas for things, and dreaming about things is also wonderful, but if that's all anything is (references to blogs, recipes, clothes), then you'll just stay in the same place. 

With that, I'm going to apply the "So, go do that" theory and make cards.  That way, when I tell people that I like doing crafty (or, I suppose I should say craftsy) things, I'll have something to show them.

No comments:

Post a Comment