For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth. Colossians 1:16

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013.

As I reflect on this past year, there are two words that come to mind: Rejoice and Thankful.

God's faithfulness has been evident throughout this year, even though at certain times I couldn't see it.  I am now in my fifth month living in France (yes, I know I shouldn't count September because it was only a week, but by the calendar, it still makes it five months), and so much has happened.

Last year began with frustration thanks to a round of food poisoning on New Year's Eve, and unorganized stores that claimed to lose my electronic job applications.  What a blessing not having a real job turned out to be, though.  I was able to spend about four weeks up at Covenant Point in the winter, as well as a week during the summer.  I had the tremendous joy of babysitting for new families and laughing with five year olds as we built forts, played with Legos and trains, and at long last, even one of the two year olds was excited for me to "come play" with her and didn't even notice when her parents left.  My time of waiting for my life in France to start kept me surrounded my loving friends and family, encouragement from different communities, and it really started to prepare me for life here.  I didn't completely know it at the time, but those months were some of the most precious I have experienced. 

In January of 2012, my good friend encouraged me to start a gratitude journal, and being forced to take notice of little-and big- things and thank God for them started to change how I saw trials, triumphs, and relationships.  I was sad when I finished that journal yesterday, but I am so thankful to start another one today!  I often feel a bit like Pollyanna playing the glad game, but why should that be a bad thing?  It doesn't separate me from the reality of what happens, but it just helps to keep things in perspective and give praise in all circumstances. 

As I think about the events that have happened this year, I just can't help but smile and rejoice.  Such blessings God has given me, and such joy that fills my heart.  So, here's to 2013, another year to praise, another year to share, another year to love others.

No comments:

Post a Comment