For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth. Colossians 1:16

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I arrived at Heathrow at 10 this morning.  After half an hour in security, 20 minutes trying to connect to the Internet (without success, thereby forcing me to pay £1 for ten minutes on the public computer), I finally got to relax and eat a muffin.  The flight was pretty rough.  The momentum of getting ready to leave and the nerves of actually leaving left me feeling rather sick, which is not fun when you're on a seven hour flight.  Hopefully the flight to Lyon will go better.

I spent a while looking around Heathrow.  There are many fun little shops!  Of course, most are expensive, so I won't be buying much, but it is fun to look.  All growing up, we always drove on vacation, so I'm not totally used to airports.  At least, not by myself.  In the past two years, I have flown more than the rest of my life combined.  Including to and from France, Sweden, England twice, Ireland, Turkey, Greece, a little island off the Greek coast, and now tonEngland with a hop over to France.  So, yes, I have traveled a decent amount, but weird things happen when I fly alone.  Like the time when a man with a grizzly beard and peg leg started talking to me, or when I had to put on an oxygen mask on the plane.  Most of the time though, I have had someone waiting for me on the other side of baggage claim.  Not today, which isn't bad because Randy will be picking me up once I get to Lyon!  But you can quickly run out of things to do when sitting at an airport alone for six hours.  I just don't know what to do in airports.  I people watch (I'm pretty sure the guy sitting across from me is Swedish), I try to use some subtle accent that isn't traceable, but its noticeable, and I try to find celebrities (there's a woman by Starbucks who looks like Jamie Lee Curtis) and I write. Or read. Basically, everything I already donat coffee shops.  As I previously said, I do of course meander about, seeing what cool things there are to buy, but you can't do that for five hours.

*I apologise if this is not entirely coherent.  I'm running on one hour of sleep since Sunday night.

1 comment:

  1. Love the updates Abby. Glad to hear you had a good time at Heathrow!

    ReplyDelete