For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth. Colossians 1:16

Monday, May 7, 2012

I have always loved words: quotes, word art, songs, anything made up of letters.  I have a board on Pinterest that's dedicated to quotes, and I found myself looking at those marvelous words today.  It turns out some of the best quotes I've ever heard about how to live life have come from Audrey Hepburn.  But the quotes I have found that make the most sense to me and truly explain thing that seem impossible to understand have come from children's authors and C.S. Lewis.

If adults read kids books and actually took the words to heart, the world might be on the road to repair.  Seriously, if each person had a cause they cared about and devoted their lives to it, it might just come to reality.  The same to say about that Cat in the Hat reference.  "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."  This isn't to say that everything that passes through your mind is meant to be spoken.  But rather, if someone is going to mock you for something you are about or believe in, then they don't matter. 

On my first day of class in France, we went around the room and said our majors.  When I said that I was a Biblical Studies major, my professor said "Studies?  Plural?" and for the next few weeks we would tease me about being a Christian and the absurdity that was, in fact, Christianity.  I was upset about this at first, but when I told my good friend, Nick, about this, he said "Abby, you're being mocked for Jesus?  That's AWESOME."  He was right, and after that, it didn't bother me so much that my professor called me "the religion expert" and asked me to explain what a resurrection was-which caused my classmates to laugh.  Eventually, he realized I wasn't as stupid as he thought Christians were, and the mocking subsided.  I loved my time in France, and I can't wait to go back.













Lewis















Words to live by

.

No comments:

Post a Comment