For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth. Colossians 1:16

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Once again, I find myself at Heathrow, an airport I know fairly well at this point.  There is the standard mix of characters and people from different countries: little kids wearing Angry Bird hats, a South African sports team, the same French families that were on my previous flight, a group of young students wearing fluorescent yellow shirts, and people from every walk of life.
I'm running on about three hours of sleep, but now am wide awake thanks to a short nap from Lyon and the coffee they served on the flight.  My guess is that the 9 hour flight back home will knock me out though.
I really do love international airports.  Not the security checks, mile-long lines, and the stress of rushing to your gate, of course, but just sitting with a cross-section of the world.  No matter how many places you've lived, languages you speak, or contacts you have, you can always learn more.  I think that knowing other cultures and appreciating them really helps to understand the heart of God in a new way.  When God created man, He made him in His image, and when you embrace another culture, you embrace another facet of God's image that you may not have known before.  That is one reason why I enjoy traveling, and also why I love airports.

No comments:

Post a Comment