For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth. Colossians 1:16

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

This morning held one of those serendipitous occasions that leave me feeling unbelievably happy for no real reason.  I have been a little on the surly side lately, not for any specific reason, just feeling exhausted even though I usually get plenty of sleep, and so what joy came from a morning such as this.  I awoke earlier this morning (thanks, Chino) than I had intended and still felt rushed to get to the bus in time to catch my next bus going out to my friends' house to help them with work around the garden and house. I made it to the bus stop with just enough time to get a coffee and a pastry: serendipity moment number 1.  The road out to my friends' house goes through the country, and I always love watching the scenery go by.  Green pastures, a blue sky today, clouds that remind me of Toy Story, a regular painting from Psalm 23: serendipity (though not really an accident) moment number 2.  While en route, I got a call from my friend and found out that I had written the date wrong on my calendar and they wouldn't be around today.  At this point, I had been on the bus for a while and I was in the downtown area of a town outside of my own; every time I pass this town, I always think "This is so lovely.  Sometime I'll have to explore over here."  Well, why not today?  Serendipity moment number 3.  Apparently, it's the time of year when every store has sales galore and I thought to take a gander at a few stores before heading back into town (I don't really need any reason to buy anything else, but it's always fun to look through).  As I was walking to the bus stop, I passed a flower shop and saw a glimpse of my favorite flower.  I haven't been able to find many of them in the shops here, perhaps just because of the season, but it made me so happy to see them!  Serendipity moment number 4.  On the bus back into town, we made a stop and a few older women came on.  One of the women, as she stepped on the bus, called out a joyful greeting to the driver, and then to everyone on the bus.  She sat across from me, and exclaimed, "Oh what a lovely flower!  Just look at those colors!  Oh, there's so many flowers on just the one stem!"  It is so pleasant to meet a friendly stranger on the bus!  Serendipity moment number 5.  When I finally got off the bus to walk back to my house, the weather had changed to my favorite kind: low 60s with a wonderful breeze that makes it just right to wear a hoodie and Chacos.  I know it's summer and it would be wonderful to have really warm weather, but that's just so much better when you have a lake to jump in.  No, this day is pretty perfect.  Serendipity moment number 6.
Due to my own lapse of organization, I suddenly found my day open, my favorite flowers in hands, and a smile on my face.  Ah, Serendipity.

No comments:

Post a Comment