For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth. Colossians 1:16

Thursday, November 8, 2012

A few months ago, a friend of mine gave me a book entitles A Jane Austen Devotional.  Each day has an excerpt from a Jane Austen novel and then a reflection correlating to different passages of Scripture.  This morning's reading was entitled "Letting Go of Worry".  Now, I didn't really care about the excerpt from Emma, but I really loved the message of the devo.  Here is a bit of it:

A second-and equally important-consideration is that time spent worrying is time not spent trusting God.  That energy would be so much better put to prayer!  The Bible tells us, "Don't worry about anything; pray about everything. (Philippians 4:6)

I've typically been a worrier on my life, primarily about things that don't matter much, and as much as I have wanted to, I have yet to conquer worry.  Yet even though I have spent years trying to let go of it, it remains a daily comfort to know that God can change worry to peace through giving it to Him and allowing Him to change the heart.  It's just the giving it over part that is a difficulty.  Yet, it is the thing most people who struggle with worry want to do!  Why is it that the hardest things to release are the things that get us down?  It is so easy to forget that people love us and enjoy being with us, and always so hard to forget when one person said something that hurt us.  "Don't worry about anything; pray about everything."

No comments:

Post a Comment